- Outside of office hours you can claim up to 45p for mileage. Mileage payments up to 40p are taxfree. Everything over 40p is taxable as income.
- Inside office hours Mileage is the distance from the instructing solicitors office to the venue or the actual mileage, whichever is the shortest. The expectation is that you will use public transport. You can still use you own car but payments are capped at 25p per mile. To claim 45p per mile you will need to show a justification. The Criminal Bills Assessment Manual gives the following reasons:
- Getting to the station within 45 minutes.
- Security & Confidentiality: sensitive material that you carry must be safe from interference or theft.
- Carrying large numer of bulky documents.
- No public transport available.
- Use of a private motor vehicle was otherwise reasonable
- The LAA are trying to crack down on inflated or spurious travel claims. They are being a bit nutty and are querying even very small claims. Invoices & receipts should always be produced in support of claims for travel expenses.
Under the contract, claims for for travel of up to £20 do not require receipts but even those are being queried so it is best to keep all reciepts with your notes.
Below is a copy of the Criminal Bills Assessment Manual which you will find a terrific and thrilling read. Take a look at s3.9 Travel and Waiting. There are three versions but they are all identical just in different formats. If you can't open one then try another. If you cannot open any of them or need them in a different format please feel free to get in touch:
|Its vital that reps have a clear understanding of what can and cannot be claimed. The Boris campaign poster should help you and your colleages get to grips with the terms of the crime contract. BORIS is a simple 5 letter mnemonic to get it right every time.|
B - Budget for Buses: The presumption is travel will cost no more that the public transport cost
O - Outside Office Hours: You can claim up to 45p for mileage.
R - Receipts: Evidence is essential. Keep receipts and note it in your report
I - Inside Office Hours: Mileage is the distance from the instructing solicitors office or the actual mileage, whichever is the shortest and capped at 25p
S - Share: Do not double claim. If you have three clients, apportion the travel costs
If it helps, please feel free to distribute thsi Boris Campaign image that has been provided by those lovely people over at No Comment, the largest police station rep agency in the UK.